We are doing a congregational Bible reading plan that will have us reading the New Testament in a year. This will help us to all be 'listening' to God from the same chapter of the New Testament daily Monday through Friday. It should also facilitate our conversations when we gather, because we will have read the same chapter any given day.
The reading plan we are following is called The Discipleship Journal's 5x5x5 Bible Reading Plan. It's designed for reading 5 minutes a day, 5 days a week (we've chosen Monday to Friday), and there are 5 ways to go deeper (see below). The plan is available on the YouVersion Bible App for both Android and iOS. You can also access the reading plan online by clicking here.
Here are the readings for January 20-31 (February's reading will be added at the beginning of the month):
- June 22: Romans 15
- June 23: Romans 16
- June 24: Ephesians 1
- June 25: Ephesians 2
- June 26: Ephesians 3
- June 27: No reading
- June 28: No reading
- June 29: Ephesians 4
- June 30: Ephesians 5
- July 1: Ephesians 6
- July 2: Philippians 1
- July 3: Philippians 2
- July 4: No reading
- July 5: No reading
Here are guidelines for the 5 ways to go deeper in your Bible reading:
- Underline or highlight key words or phrases in the Bible passage. Use a pen or highlighter to mark new discoveries from the text. Periodically review your markings to see what God is teaching you.
- Put it into your own words. Read the passage or verse slowly, then rewrite each phrase or sentence using your own words.
- Ask and answer some questions. Questions unlock new discoveries and meanings. Ask questions about the passage using these words: who, what, why, when, where, or how. Jot down some thoughts on how you would answer these questions.
- Capture the big idea. God's Word communicates big ideas. Periodically ask, What's the big idea in this sentence, paragraph, or chapter?
- Personalize the meaning. When God speaks to us through the Scriptures, we must respond. A helpful habit is personalizing the Bible through application. Ask: How can my life be different today as I respond to what I'm reading?
Start reading and listen for what God wants to say to you through is Word. And when you run into someone from church or you get together for coffee, ask them "what has God said to you in the last couple of days?" This way you will enjoy a hot cup of coffee and encouraging conversation.